Thursday, July 16, 2009

It´s the end of the world as we know it...

...and I feel (super extra special) fine!

Okay, so just like I am a horrible phone caller, e-mailer, etc., I am a horrible blogger. Jonah arrived at El Cebreiro to meet me at the top of the mountain. I couldn´t imagine a better place to meet. Imagine fog drifting in off of the mountains, stunning sunsets, little round thatch roofed huts, celtic bagpipes playing in the background, and overall elation from everyone for having just completed the monsterous climb to the top of the mountain. The morning was equally stunning as you look down and see the clouds are actually below you in the valley. This is not my mental picture of Spain, but it is absolutely gorgeous. We continued through Galicia and ate the speciality of the region, pulpo, which is essentially octopus that has been beaten for hours while alive (so I´ve been told), boiled in a big vat, cut up with scissors, and sprinkled with paprika. It was actually quite good. Did I mention that being a vegetarian has gone completely out of the window? The hike through Galicia has been lovely, and cool, and even involved a little bit of rain, which I had almost forgotten existed on this trek. We ended at Santiago on Tuesday, and it is the most stunning city of all time. The cathedral is amazing, there are musicians playing guitar, singing opera, playing violin in the streets. Then when I thought things couldn´t get any better, we took the bus to Finisterre, which is absolutely stunning. Today, we plan to walk to the end of the world and watch the sun set over the ocean with a bottle of wine and a picnic. I love Spain!

5 comments:

  1. Points to Jonah for (literally) following you to the end of the world ;O)
    Missing ya!
    Ines

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try to stay at Corcubion - Albergue San Roque. It is the best on the whole camino.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!!! You did it. And you sound so enthusiastic and happy!!! Glad it ended on such a good note for you.
    I can't wait till I walk in September.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss Cannon, you are awesome. I hope that you enjoyed that sunset at the end of the world--it's really something else. I cannot wait to see pictures!

    xoxo,
    Miss Gulley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds beautiful and beyond romantic! Enjoy the rest of your trip!!!

    ReplyDelete